£75 per rehearsal, which includes preparation time, with a bonus for concerts.
LVM is seeking to appoint experienced, friendly choral conductors, who can provide occasional cover for our choir over the coming years. We are keen to hear from a variety of candidates as we may offer several Associate Conductor positions, in case of deputising opportunities coming in at short notice.
Additionally, whilst our Musical Director is on maternity leave this year, there will also be a longer-term opportunity to deputise regularly for us from mid-October until Christmas 2021 (and potentially also into Spring/Summer 2022). For this maternity cover position, we are keen to employ one principal Associate Conductor who is available to deputise for all our regular rehearsals.
About Leeds Vocal Movement:
Leeds Vocal Movement (LVM) is an un-auditioned SATB choir based in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Our choir aims to bridge the gap between youth choirs and choral societies, and we provide musical opportunities for young adults between the ages of 18 and 35. We are a fun, educational and social choir of approximately 40 singers, who perform music spanning a range of genres, including contemporary, classical, jazz, sacred and traditional music. Focusing on inclusive musical education, our Musical Director Caitlin Mayall uses the Kodály Method to help our members develop their ability to pitch, sight-read and improve tuning.
The choir rehearses every Wednesday evening during school term time, from 7.15-9.15pm in Leeds City Centre. We usually hold biannual concerts in December and June, as well as taking part in an annual collaborative event with local music groups. Previous collaborations have included concerts with Bradford Festival Choral Society, Phoenix Concert Band, and several choirs at the Left Bank Choir Festival. We also do an annual Christmas busk for charity and have released online videos throughout the pandemic.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Plan rehearsals and rehearse the choir on an ad hoc basis
- Deliver fun, engaging warm-ups at the beginning of each rehearsal
- Lead sectionals (usually upper or lower voices)
- Work collaboratively with our piano accompanist
- Prepare music prior to rehearsal as directed by our Musical Director
- Following the rehearsal, liaise with the Musical Director to provide feedback and suggestions for next steps
- Communicate effectively with the Choir committee
LVM is a unique choir in that it is made up of singers of all abilities, from those with very little musical experience, to confident sight-readers with years of professional training. As such, we are seeking to appoint Associate Conductor/s who:
- Have excellent knowledge of, and passion for, choral music
- Are trained singers who can model musical phrasing
- Have experience in conducting choirs and planning rehearsals
- Can direct our choir in a personable, dynamic, and most importantly fun style
- Understand how to be inclusive of all our members, by providing support for our less experienced singers whilst seeking an excellent choral sound which challenges even the most able
- Are highly reliable and good communicators
- Can confidently use a tuning fork or pitch pipe to give notes
- Are available on Wednesday evenings and able to travel to/from Leeds city centre
If you are interested in joining us as an Associate Conductor please send through a CV outlining your experience relative to the choir and the personal specification with reference and a short statement about why you are interested in Leeds Vocal Movement, via either:
- A written document – two pages maximum, or;
- A short video – 5 minutes maximum
Please submit all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send through applications by Friday 20 August 2021. If you are interested in the maternity cover position, please specify in the application.
We will let you know by Wednesday 1 September 2021 whether we would like to ask you to attend a mock rehearsal followed by a short interview on Wednesday 22 September 2021.